Bareness of the Symbol
An elaborate, almost cynical analysis, of what around us may be essentially represented by the artistic act. We are more than likely recreating reality when we find the true concept, but still, the more meaningful the unknown elements are the clearer it becomes that they might represent the entities that have built upon them the abstract universe of artistic personality.
The image of intellectual feat, pours through physical or abstract time, and decides when to become irreplaceable. The changes in form and shape, the syncopated, once discontinued, broken rhythm only to be then reborn in another shape, they all stand for the sum of details that define a personalized work of art.
Dexterity, the easiness of gesture is all a completion of fact and not a purpose. The plastic element comes from itself when the compositional denials are natural. Apparently, there lies the limit between the kitsch and true art. The simple means, that are a few, are visually building the artistry but still, the main structure lies in the elaborate, thought upon composition as a fact of accomplishment.
We are also, continuously facing a struggle full of denials, giving up, solitary breaks that are not always ending in eventual success. Are all these the true definition of our artistic personality? Obviously, and is also sad when we transform art into a fake hat trick. It is the supreme compromise to try and hide the impotence under an intellectual mask. Staying on the same page, it is a maximum compromise when you leave the artistic act or performance unfinished, incomplete, and partial.
These are main characteristics, features of the individuals that continue what they have begun a long time ago, the individuals that follow obsessively the same major themes.
In «Tertulia magazine», April 2005
Fine Arts High School Diploma from “N. Tonitza”, 1991
Master, from Art University Bucharest – Romania, in 1997 – Major: Drawing-Printmaking-Graphics.
1995 – International Competition ‘The World of Ex Libris’ – “Exlibris & their Artists”, Belgrade, Serbia
– International Exlibris Competition 1995 – ” Ecology “, Sint -Niklaas, Belgium
1997 – International Exlibris Competition – Fairy Tales, Sint -Niklaas, Belgium
1999 – International Art Exhibition Tzedaka Foundation, Buenos Aires (Argentina)
2000 – Biennale International D’estampe Contemporaine de Trois-Rivieres / Quebec, Canada
– First Biennial Miniature Print Exhibition (BIMPE), Dundarave Print Workshop Gallery, Vancouver, BC, Canada
2004 – Art Show «Questions», A. Forest Gallery, New York, USA.
2011 – VI International Competition Ex Libris Biblioteca Di Bodio Lomnago «Cinema, The Dream Machine», Italy
2012 – International XXXIV FISAE Ex Libris Competition, Finland
– “Journee de L’estampe Contemporaine“- Place Saint Sulpice-Paris
– III Biennale Internazionale Ex Libris Palladio, Palazzo Piovene, Spazio Fondazione Vajenti, Vicenza // Museo della Grafica di Brunico, Stadtmuseum Bruneck
2013 – XI Biennial International Show “Grafica Ed Ex Libris”, Omaggio a Luigi Servolini (1906 – 1981), Castello Del Monferrato
– Art-Printmaking Exhibition Fondation Taylor-Pointe et Burin (L’Association des artistes peintres, sculpteurs, architectes, graveurs et dessinateurs dite Fondation Taylor)
– International Ex-Libris Competition «Wine And Grapes», Novi Sad – The Cultural Centre „Art Workshop Sremski Karlovci“ And The Ex Libris, Association of Vojvodina, Serbia
2014 – International Competion. XXXV Congrés International d’Exlibristes de la FISAE – Catalunya, 2014 – Exhibition «Ex-libris i Exlibristes», Port of Tarragona
– 3ª Bienal Internacional de Gravura Lívio Abramo, 2014, Araraquara, S. Paulo, Brasil
2015 – XII Biennial International Show “Grafica ed Ex Libris” – ‘Omagio a Adolfo De Carolis (1874-1928)’ , Casale Monferrato
– Deutsche Exlibris-Gesellschaft e.V. (DEG) Graphics Competition at the DEG annual meeting 2015
– International Contest of Ex Libris V Centenary of Aldo Manuzio death under the theme “Aldo Manuzio from in folio to pocket book. Life and works of the first modern editor. The Ex Libris describe and illustrate” – Associazione Culturale Unitas Onlus
– International Ex Libris and Short stories Competition “The Enchanted Wood” 2015-2016, Bosia, Italy
2016 – International Ex-libris Exhibition 2016, XXXVI International Ex-libris Congress FISAE – 22nd – 27th August 2016 (Vologda, Russia)
– The BIG Exhibition 2016, Celebrating 15 Years of Baldwin’s Ink Ground, Oct. – Nov. 2016, Aberystwyth School of Art Gallery
2017 – Elena Hlodec, Frederikshavn Kunstmuseum & Exlibrissamling, March 11 to April 29, 2017
Concorso Internazionale Exlibris e Brevi Novelle “Il Bosco Stregato” – Ed. 2017 | “Il Libro della Giungla”
2018 – International Ex Libris Exhibition | XXXVII FISAE Congress, Prague, 2018
1999 – Diploma of Honour at International Art Exhibition Tzedaka Foundation, Buenos Aires, Argentina
2000 – First Biennial Miniature Print Exhibition (BIMPE), Dundarave Print Workshop Gallery, Vancouver, BC, Canada – Special Acknowledge 5th place – The Muse’s Tale – Engraving (I BIMPE Award Winners)
2013 – Second Prize at FISAE XXXIV Congress – The International Ex-libris Competition ‘The Best Ex-libris in the World 2010-2012’, Naantali, Finland (Suomen Kongressi 2012)
2014 – First Prize at 3ª Bienal Internacional de Gravura Lívio Abramo, 2014, Araraquara, S. Paulo, Brasil (Bienal Internacional de Gravura Lívio Abramo, 2014)
2015 – Second Prize DEG Graphics Competition 2015 -‘Noah’s Ark’ Ex Libris Anke Polenz
– 1st Prize International Artist – International Contest of Ex Libris V Centenary of Aldo Manuzio death “Aldo Manuzio from in folio to pocket book. Life and works of the first modern editor. The Ex Libris describe and illustrate” – Associazione Culturale Unitas Onlus
2017 – First Prize ex aequo – Concorso Internazionale Exlibris e Brevi Novelle “Il Bosco Stregato” – Ed. 2017 | “Il Libro della Giungla”
1997 Artists Union of Romania (Graphics Department)
2010 Maison des Artistes Paris, France
2014 Graphia BOEKMERK, Belgium
2016 Association Les Ateliers Intaglio, Evry, France
Masahito Sakamoto. Elena Hlodec – Romantica Moderna, in «Inpressioni», #18, Autumn 2018, Grafica Insieme, pp 23-28
José Vicente de Bragança, Elena Hlodec – Ex Libris, at Ex Libris Artists & Collectors Blog
Mota Miranda, Artur (Editor), Contemporary International x-Libris Artists – Modern Women Bookplate Designers, Braga, 2014,, pp. 57-68
BOEKMERK 38 (2012/2), Graphia, Sint-Niklaas
Catalogo XII Biennial International Show “Grafica ed Ex Libris”, Casale Monferrato
A.F.C.E.L., News Letter, August 2012